Looking for a position here at the Y? The Family YMCA of the Desert is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer! Check back with this page frequently for new job opportunities as they become available.
Download Our Employment Application (184 KB)
Looking for part time or on call Support Teacher
Reports to:Program Director
FLSA Classification:Non-Exempt, Part-time
Created / Updated: 06/2020
JOB POSITION OVERVIEW
Under the direction of the Site Supervisor and/or the Early Childhood Program Director, The teacher is responsible for the supervision and management of a group of 8-12 children between 2-5 years of age, or 10-14 children between 5-12 years of age, in a manner the contributes to the growth and functioning of the children and their families. The Teacher is responsible for assuring compliance with regulations of local governing agencies; and works collegially with classroom teaching team and other staff members of the Family YMCA of the Desert.
- ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Assists the Lead Teacher/Site Supervisor in the implementation of the daily program.
- Assists in the planning and preparation of the creative learning environment, establishment of interest centers and preparation of needed materials and supplies.
- Supports, promotes, and participates in all YMCA events, staff meetings, staff developing activities and workshops when it is determined by your supervisor that you are to be involved.
- Provides continuous supervision of assigned groups of children to assure safety and welfare, observe the behavior and health of children continually throughout the period of attendance, and refer ill or injured children to the Site Supervisor.
- Implements weekly group and individual lesson plans and implements age appropriate curriculum as approved by the Site Supervisor to nurture and stimulate all domains of children’s development in their care.
- Provides a developmentally appropriate classroom environment that reflects the children’s learning and growth. Assists the lead teacher in utilizing the most current Environmental Rating Scales to guide classroom environment and arrangement.
- Assists with on-going developmental evaluations of children as required by the Family YMCA of the Desert and/or funding sources.
- Completes the DRDP and ECERS with other classroom teachers and assists in preparing developmental progress reports as needed.
- Demonstrates cultural competency and respect for the child’s background by incorporating the cultural, linguistic and familial values and beliefs into the program and lesson plans.
- Acts as a liaison with children’s families to ensure smooth transitions from home to the classroom and from classroom to classroom, if necessary.
- Maintains YMCA discipline policy in the positive guidance of young children.
- Reports any reasonable suspicion of child abuse to their Site Supervisor and Child Protective Services.
- Maintains accurate, complete and timely client and agency records; Completes daily meal and attendance records.
- Completes, or ensures the completion of, daily health checks regarding hygiene, safety, and overall well-being of the children.
- Assignments at La Quinta location may require supervision responsibilities of school age children, where required
- Assists with the operation and monitoring of the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) including ensuring the practices of family style dining and appropriate hand washing.
- Performs housekeeping tasks and maintains a safe, clean and healthy learning environment. Maintains and properly stores equipment and supplies.
- Ensures that other classroom teachers and aides are kept updated and are included in all matters concerning the classroom and program (i.e. lesson plans, implementation of circle time/activities, policies and procedures and trainings).
- Treats each child, guest and staff with dignity and respect. Maintains a professional attitude at all times.
- Wear correct uniform daily with appropriate pants, shorts, skirts, etc. Wears safe and appropriate closed toe shoes.
- Leadership – Maintain a positive, upbeat role, promote and exemplify Company values and represents departmental objectives and interests to internal and external customers.
- Customer Service – Follow up on complaints, questions, and concerns; respond to internal/external customer needs in a friendly, timely and efficient manner
- Teamwork – Develop and promote teamwork and cooperation among co-workers
- Safety – Comply with established safe work practices and attend to all safety-related training provided or made available by the Company.
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent and 18 years of age
- Must have 12 or more units of Early Childhood Education, including core courses
- 2 years of experience in an ECE program preferred
Required Technical / Other Skills and Abilities
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office products)
- Read, write and speak fluent English;
- Bi-lingual in Spanish and English is a plus
- Must pass a pre-employment physical examination and TB test.
- Must pass background check and live scan thru DOJ, FBI and CCLD.
- Must provide immunization records showing vaccination, or immunity, to measles, whooping cough and the flu must be provided at the time of employment.
- Have the ability to apply for an Assistant Teacher/Teacher permit issued by CA Commission on Teacher Credentialing preferred.
The physical demands described on the attached “Physical Demands of Position” chart are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. See attached “Physical Demands of the Position”.
This position has access to confidential information – personal data of participants and families and participant medical records.
This position does not have access to company funds.